Saturday, January 31, 2009

Hebrew questions

In Strong's concordance the words are mishmereth, mitsvah,
chuqqah,torah torah..noticed did not come out good in original
post..tony


Question

Below says mismarti,miswotay, huqqotay, wetorotay. strong says mishmereth, mitsvâh, chûqqâh,tôrâh tôrâh. What am I missing?Are there 2 different hebrew translations? Could not find much on the internet. Can someone shed some light for me..thanks.. tony


Most religious teachers say that God's commands given through Moses applied only to ancient Israel and are not for us today. But in drawing that conclusion, most of them overlook the full significance of what God said about Abraham's obedience in Genesis 26:5, hundreds of years before God spoke to Moses and Israel at Mt. Sinai: "Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws" (NIV).
The Hebrew words God uses here are especially important. As The Expositor's Bible Commentary explains regarding this verse: "The Lord then added a remarkable note: Abraham 'kept my requirements [mismarti], my commands [miswotay], my decrees [huqqotay] and my laws [wetorotay]' (v. 5).
"It is remarkable that this is precisely the way in which obedience to the Sinai Covenant is expressed in Deuteronomy 11:1: 'Love the Lord your God and keep his requirements [mismarto], his decrees [huqqotayw], his laws [mispatayw] and his commands [miswotayw]'





Tony ,

This is what you are looking at: Ekev asher shama Avraham bekoli, vayishmor mishmarti, mitzvotei, chukotei vetorotei.

Thats the whole sentence there as it is in hebrew. It means, All of this is because Avraham obeyed my voice(kol... is the root word inside bekoli..see it there?)kept my charges(such as killing animals in the kosher way etc.) kept my laws(mitvah. . mitzvotei means with my laws)my decrees(chuk. . the root of chukotei meaning MY decrees which are laws like the schechting of the para eduma..laws we might not readily get without contemplation) and my teaching(torah. . inside the word ve(and)torotei. .and my torahs.. this is plural. There is more than one torah.. written and spoken. The word tells us so . Torah means teachings)

Mishmeros or mishmerot means additions to the law.. this is the mishna and oral law. Mitzvah is the next word a mitzvah is a commandment

a chok or hok is also a law but it is a supernatural law that is not easily understood on the surface of it. See?

Mishmarti means my requirements and this refers also to oral law. For instance. Torah (torah meaning teaching) says that God said to Moses.."And you shall kill it as I have commanded you".

Well there is no where in all of Torah or Tanakh that you will find out how to shecht or kill an animal. It was told to Moses face to face. It is part of our history and oral traditions and law. You have to schecht and animal properly so as to kill painlessly , quickly and drain every bit of blood. So its not enough to eat beef and think its *clean* because if its not killed properly its not clean at all! So this is additional oral laws that are necessary in order to keep the written law.

So here: Torah means teaching. Mitzvah means commandment. Chuk or Hok is a law that has no readily discernable sense to it(Like our dietary laws , the law of shatznes or not combining linen and wool and other things like that)

The words you find will not make sense to you unless you remember the rules of Hebrew.

Hebrew is made up of shoreshim(roots) which are root words. They are rarely used in that way.

In hebrew you must add a prefix and/or a suffix to the word for it to make sense and have meaning.

I think this is why you are confused here.

Hope I helped some.

No comments: